May 14, 2007

Serger Anyone?

So how do you use your serger? Do you use it to it's full potential? Do you occasionally construct entire garments on it? Do you use it for any sort of embellishment purposes? I have a great serger! I have a Viking 936 which will do a 2, 3, 4, or 5 thread overlock. It will also coverstitch and chainstitch. With the optional accessory feet - it will create pintucks, shadow-work, ruffles, gather 2 pieces of fabric together. When I worked for the dealer I took lots of classes on how to get the most results from my serger. So, what exactly do I use it for? - right, finishing a seam after I've constructed it on my sewing machine. Now - doesn't that sound like a waste? A waste of time, a waste of money, and a waste of good equipment. Apparently - I need to do something about this!!

2 comments :

  1. You know I was just thinking about this very thing the other day. I have an Elna 945 - top of the line, does it all and all I ever use it for is to finish a seam edge. It does seem like a waste doesn't it? Maybe we need to challenge ourselves to do something new/different with our sergers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G, I'll take yours off your hands for you. *grin* No, seriously, I use my serger a lot. I use it for rolled hems, and for serging the edge of a hem that needs to be folded up and stitched. If I had one that did a coverstitch, I'd be using it along the edges of tshirts and lots more. Debbie Cook of Stitches and Seams has a great coverstitch tutorial on her blog.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs