March 6, 2008

The Beau Man

In an effort to post about Beau this morning, I went through quite a few of our 35mm photos. I found a couple of cute ones, but couldn't get the scanner to work. So, in another effort - this one not to post without photos - you're getting recycled photos of my boy. JB had always wanted a bloodhound. There is someone around her semi-locally who is breeding a female far too often (she had 3 litters in 4 heat cycles) and posting ads to get rid of the puppies in a small local paper. JB saw the ad when the 2nd litter had been born, but I said no. Bloodhounds have a short life span and I just couldn't commit my heart to a dog that has an average life of 8 years! By the next litter I gave in. Beau was to be JB's puppy. There were specific things he was looking for in a bloodhound. He want it to be a 'liver' (which is a chocolate color), male, and preferably the runt. Beauregard James met all the requirements. Plus he was sweet! We went out to look at him and brought both him and Lucy home that day - they were 7 weeks old and Beau weight a whoppin' 6 pounds! Don't worry, while he's always been about 5# less than Lucy - they both gained fast.
As it goes with most things, Beau decided that he liked me better than JB. So, when we did obedience school - I worked with Beau and JB had Lucy's leash. Beau & I even did agility for a little over a year (unfortunately there are no pictures of that). He could weave like a champ and his touch was impressive just due to the mass of skin moving when he put his head down. He tolerates being a handknit model, loves ice cream, tracks neighborhood dogs on our walks - and not quietly. He is a big goober, but I love him to death.
Beau and Lucy are now 4 1/2. Occassionally, I look at him and get really sad, but I know that I've been given a blessing and I'll love him and take the best care of him for as long as I'm allowed. He is the first dog in my life who's world revolves around me.

16 comments :

  1. I could, quite honestly, completely eat that dog up. He is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that a wonderful feeling though!! That's how jackjack was before Special K. He's pretty attached to him too now but he used to just want me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Beau, you are so darn handsome!! Gracie says woof.

    G - those crocuses warm my heart. There is nothing more precious than a crocus blooming in the the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beau Man is sooo.......sweet!

    Don't be sad. My great dane lived to be 11+. When you take good care of them, as you do, they beat the statistics. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pics... and I just love how you went for ONE and came home with TWO... =}

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet, sweet boy! I sure wish I could give him some cuddles. Hey, you could do it for me - big hugs and kisses to the Beau-man!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, Beau and Lucy are sweet! I hope they surprise you and live for a good, long time!
    (And I also hope that woman gave her poor dog a break from having puppies!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh they are just wonderful dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet puppy. Maybe it's the boy dogs or something, they make the best models and love their mommas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's a very special bond when a dog lets you know his/her life revolves around you, and only you.

    We lost our Jack Russell Riley to cancer when he was only eight when he should have lived to about 17. We didn't appreciate our next dog enough in the beginning because of missing Riley, but he's turned out to be a wonderful dog in a different way. But, Roscoe is my special boy and, like you, I worry about what it will be like when he's gone. I guess we should just be glad for the time we have with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand about the short life span. I look at Grover the same way, but honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. Please give both the "babies" a hug from Grover and me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, beautiful boy. Isn't it funny how they decide to whom they belong?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that top picture of Beau and Lucy... so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's lucky to have you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you love having a dog that's so devoted to you. My Samba is like that. She seems to feel my emotions.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs