April 13, 2010

My New Toy!

Finally! After months of using the old Rowenta that auto-offs before you can sew a seam - I got a new iron.
This one is made by DeLonghi - I've never heard of them before - but I will tell you this beauty is nice!
the iron is heavy - without being too much so. I can put it on the rest or stand it on end (which you can't do with the Rowenta Steam Generator). It doesn't have a ton of steam holes - but man does it put out steam. There is a 1 quart water reservoir with variable steam temperature - the iron handle doesn't get hot thanks to the cork handle. In front of the handle is a little button you can depress for continuous steam - so if you were steaming to shrink something you wouldn't get a cramp in your finger holding the button up.
All in all - I'm very happy. It was a bit more expensive than the Rowenta at $199 but not as much as a Reliable. And it has a 3 year warranty. Happy Sewing!!

7 comments :

  1. My toaster oven is by DeLonghi and is better made than any of the others I looked at. It looks more substantial and has worked well for us for about 15 years now, and we use it a lot.

    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's some iron. And cork. You're really into cork these days, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Chan... that's some iron there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh! Nice! I'm glad you got an Easter present, even if it was a couple of weeks late.

    My boys bought me a Rowenta a couple of years ago for Christmas. You have to picture two 6'2" redheads and a 6'5 redhead with a pony tail skulking into Macy's home appliances, and only the big one having the nerve to find a sales lady, to whom he explained that his mother only likes really heavy irons. Of course, the boys are so big that they think a heavy iron should weigh, I don't know, 30 pounds or more? But they trusted the grey haired clerk who was "much older" than their mom but "about the same size". I hate that it shuts off, but I use it all the time, and they are proud to have bought it for me. I'm proud that they were so thoughtful.

    Now, to study the DeLonghi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DeLonghi sell a lot of heaters here, so that they make irons too makes sense. The cork handle is such a great idea - way more gentle on the hands than anything plastic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have soft or hard water in your area? Do you have to use one of those 'caché' inserted into the water tank to prevent calcification build up?
    Those got so expensive for me, constantly needing replacement, that I just turned to distilled water. Now the little light that lets me know I need to renew the caché is always on the 'blink'....lol....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. I have the Rowenta but find that I still use my regular iron more for pressing seams open and the steam generator for pressing large pieces of fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs