July 16, 2010

Fun and Flirty

Last Saturday after my monthly ASG meeting, I had errands to run. One of those errands was going to get more vacuum cleaner bags. I managed to pick up a few new sewing notions while I was there. Also, the vacuum store is right next to Pacific Fabrics. I went in looking for some skull quilting cotton to make a long overdue project bag - instead I bought this lovely red and white floral quilting cotton.
I immediately put it in the washer when I got home and hung it on the clothesline. This is the softest cotton.
Sunday afternoon found me down in the studio. After finishing the orange skirt - except for the hem - I decided to make a quick version of KS3337 (seriously - buy this pattern - although in the first photo I look a bit like a huge triangle).
After putting the skirt together, I decided that maybe it was a bit thin and needed a lining. So off to the cupboard I went. I found a nice piece of white poly lining - most likely from JoAnns and cut out a lining. I sewed the invisible zipper between the fashion fabric and the lining. Then I decided to cut a strip of the fashion fabric and used it to hem the lining. I put the strip right side to wrong side of the lining and sewed a 1/4" seam, flipped it to the right side of the lining and then top stitched it down. Then I went back and added some tiny cotton "tatting" trim. The lining is about 2" shorter than the skirt so this little design element is just for me. But - it so dang cute I had to show just about everyone today!

11 comments :

  1. Love it! And look at that shapely, muscular calf! Go stairs, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, the print is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a cute little addition. You're so clever. And look at those gorgeous roses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is cute! Love that fabric; you look so good in red.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what you're doing here? You're making me itch to get my sewing machine out, and I haven't done any serious sewing in ages. That is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that skirt! And I'm gonna steal the trim on the lining idea...girl consider that snatched! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely fabric (a shade of red I adore) and such a pretty lining. Well done for treating yourself to a cute and feminine "tatting" lace edge. You know it is there, which is all that really matters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The print is lovely. I really like the detail you added to the lining. Sometimes it's the secret special details that make one feel good about themselves . . . whether others can see it or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely skirt and the print is fun.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs