December 17, 2010

Not Your Grandmother's Gingerbread House

For the past 18 years the Sheraton Hotel in Seattle has been hosting a gingerbread display to benefit juvenile diabetes.

I've lived in Seattle for that long this time - but never knew about it until I saw a clip on the local Evening Magazine last year.  thankfully I was working downtown, or I never would have gone to see them.  Cake Fixation has a blog post with much better photos (2009 are here) - but I'll still give you my favorite photos.

Last year, having been the first year I ever saw them I think those were my favorite and everything else has to live up to them.  This year - the tree house is my favorite.  I love trying to figure out what all the 'building' materials are.  I also loved those trees and reindeer.  I've been to see them twice now this year and I think I'm dragging JB down to view them after my company holiday dinner next Thursday again! 

Does your town have a gingerbread house display? 

11 comments :

  1. No, this stinkin town doesn't do anything fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that would e entirely too interesting for our town to do.

    (I am sort of curious about the choice of a gingerbread contest for pediatric diabetes... I mean, isn't that sort of like a designer shoe contest for amputees or a Who's Got The Best Hairstyle contest for alopecia? Is it meant to be ironic? Enquiring minds want to know.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But they are lovely, I'm not denying that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrmph. Glad I'm not alone on the podunk ain't got nuthin' bench...

    But thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful! We don't have such a thing, although an old guy sets up a train set in the mall that includes miniature of famous buildings from the "big city" next door. Sadly, he passed away 3 days after he got it set up this year; I hope someone will continue the tradition...

    So I guess I'm not quite stuck on the "Podunk ain't got nuthin" bench...almost, but not quite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're kidding, right? I live, as Chan always says, in Podunk. I don't even think Sacramento has such a thing. Sounds very cool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podunk here too. Dang. All the cool things are in the Pacific Northwest!! :D

    Ha. I didn't even catch the ironicness of the gingerbread to support diabetes. I'm sure it's just holiday-appropriate and if it raises money, great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't *think* we have anything like that here. Could be wrong, but I know it hasn't been advertised. Pretty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful... I don't believe we have anything like that around here. =(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool ~ what a fun place to visit!

    I don't believe we have anything like that here in Los Angeles but I remember staying in a Hyatt in Santiago over Christmas and in the lobby they had a real house built from gingerbread (complete with white snow frosting on the roof)and they sold mini houses and boxes filled with gingerbread cookies. It was wonderfully fun and we ate 2 gingerbread houses (filled with cookies) during our short stay - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! We don't have anything like this either. A nice tree lighting ceremony on our mainstreet but that's it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs