July 11, 2011

Dress #2

Last weekend, I managed to finish not 1, but 2 dresses.  It honestly takes me for-freakin-ever to get anything finished.  The last dress took me almost the entire month of June.  This one took 2 weekends.  I don't sew during the week - I work, cook dinner, walk dogs and knit.


This is the second version of the Monique Dress.  This version is fully lined and made from a much, much softer cotton than the first version.


I lengthened the front bodice this time so the waist band is level all around.  The lining has an a-line skirt rather than the full, gathered skirt.


Again - I used just one fabric but I do have several 2 fabric versions all ready to go on the cutting table.  However, to "spice" it up a bit I added rick rack to the waist band seams. 
I can see from the photos that this still isn't perfect. There are some strange wrinkles above the bust, but you know what? It's good enough.  Does that make me a horrible garment maker?  I don't think so.  It's much, much better than anything I could buy in ready to wear.  The waistband fits snugly and the skirt floats and skims my belly and hips.  It doesn't catch on my rear. 

Even lined - it was light and comfortable to wear on one of the first hot days we've had in Seattle.  Next up:  I have the white denim button front skirt cut - but that's as far as I managed to get this weekend.  I was completely unmotivated to do anything.  Actually, I think I was fighting off a Summer cold.  Now it's back to the work week. 

15 comments :

  1. I love the second picture of you wearing the dress. You can see the fit of the dress on you so much better in that view. This is a very well fitted dress and I can see how you can play with fabric and trim to make it look different. I think you did a great job and shouldn't beat yourself up about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress! I love the fabric you used and the colors are so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! You look sassy and happy in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this dress! The rick rac is a perfect touch. You look so good in this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that second photo - you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that dress a lot. The style and color are good on you. I hear your weather has been cool. I wish I could send some of this heat to you. It's 102 today heading toward 109.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that dress. The colors are great on you, and the rick rack is a very nice touch. I have 2 dresses cut out, and maybe I'll get them done next weekend. I don't sew during the week, either, because life goes on, and everyone else has to be fed and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too cute! That goes for both you and the dress...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this version and love the sassy picture! I haven't made my Monique yet...I did finish 1 shirtdress and have tons cut out to sew...now that Tom is off working on the shop and the deer have decimated my garden I should have time to accomplish something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Your closet must be overflowing!! I love the dress - looks so cool and comfy. I don't think I could ever make garments again - the last time I tried - I laughed and threw it in the trash and never looked back!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress. :) You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL You look like you're having fun in that second picture. :) Love the dress. I really wish we lived closer so you could give me some hands on instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my G, you are a talented woman! Love this dress, and you look awesome in it. Love that pic of you ruffling up your hair. I remember the first time i met you, and you were wearing this cute little T, and i said "did you make that?!", and you said "why, does it look homemade??!!" LOL!! I remember just being in awe at your talent, it seriously was a CUTE little T.
    ~Jess, aka Veedogknitter who is not knitting much these days, or blogging for that matter, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE that fabric! And look at you, shaken what you're bakin'! Be happy - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs