July 29, 2013

#6

While The Princess was visiting, I made her some new clothes.  She just got a job in a professional environment designing bathrooms and needed a few new skirts.  Plus - I had asked if she would wear a pencil skirt from some left over fabric I had.  I was going to use the magic pencil skirt and before cutting into the left over fabric, I find a piece of knit to muslin the pattern for her. 
I found a length of knit that had different patterns running across the yardage.  I cut her skirt out and I kept looking at the fabric thinking - I don't remember buying this.  It's really pretty.  Hmmm - wonder if there's enough left to make a dress. 
 
As you can see - not only was there enough left, but I was able to match the pattern across the seamlines.  At one point while I was laying out the tissue, The Princess walked in and said - turn that piece over it's going the wrong way.  DOH!  All pieces but the sleeves were cut going the same direction, but the only way to get sleeves was to turn them the wrong way. 
 
This is the sixth time I have made this wrap dress pattern.  It's quick to make, takes between 2-3 yards (for me) and I always feel good when wearing these dresses.  But I think it's time to find a new pattern for a knit dress - 6 is probably enough - don't you think?

10 comments :

  1. Love your dress. The fabric is great. Hope the princess liked the offerings. And no - you can never have enough of a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! you can't stop at six... wrap dresses never get old and never feels repeated. it's a lovely dress!! what pattern is this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different fabrics make the same dress unique, so go ahead and made six more from this pattern because you look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I don't know what you mean about the wrong way, but the dress is darling.

    And what's wrong with going with what works? I know I own at least 3 wrap dresses, and they aren't even ideal for me. I know Moggie owns at least 2, because I saw a new to me one yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the dress looks different from each new fabric, and since it fits you well, is comfortable, and is fast and easy to make, I don't see why you can't make more if you want to. I really like that dress on you, and I'm sure your daughter's skirt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great in a wrap dress, so I am hoping that you do make some more. Your fabric is so interesting! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOu can never have enough dresses. and that on e is New!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great on you, perfect job on the matching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope not enough versions yet! Have you color blocked it so that one side is a different color from the other? Have you color blocked it so that the top is one color and the bottom another? Or how about a solid top and a print bottom? Yes, you can do that with the wrap dress pattern. I think that pattern still has a lot of life left in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this skirt!! thanks mama!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs