January 6, 2015

Last Dress of 2014

This is the last dress I made in 2014 - although it wasn't the last thing that I made in 2014.  If you follow me on instagram, you saw my holiday to make list - this was one of the 'for me' items and the only one I got completed.  

The pattern is McCalls 6713 - but I made changes to the pattern.  The funny thing is - Angie sent me the same pattern as part of the Curvy Sewing Collective Secret Santa - Thanks Angie!!  

The fabric is an ITY that I bought from Fabric Mart and it screamed Pretty Woman to me.  It got made up quick!


So - I mentioned that I made changes to the pattern.  What where they you ask?  

First - this is not the first time I've made this dress.  I have 3 other versions in my closet, although only one has the hip flounce thing.  The first version I made I retraced the skirt front using the center front line as a cut on fold line.  I used that skirt piece for this version.  I lengthened the skirt by 2" and I think the length is quite nice.  

I added pockets.  The only thing I ever put in my pockets is my hands  - but how did I live without them?

Final - doing it my own way change?  I cut two of the underlap bodice piece.

When sewing it up - I pleated the front shoulder excess into the shoulder seam rather than gathering it.  In the other versions - the shoulders feel bulky.  I like this.  Also - because I only used the underlap pattern piece, the sides are pleated into the side seams.  I also cut this version a size smaller than previous versions.  

It looks like it might be a bit too tight in these photos, but it's not and I'm not self-conscious while wearing it.   


Finally - for Nessa - Posterior for  Posterity.  

Final thoughts - I really like this dress.  It feels grown up and classy (please don't burst my bubble if it doesn't look this way!).  The skirt has just enough fullness to be really swishy, but I don't really have to worry about a wardrobe malfunction and the crossed bodice lays flat against me.  

It's nice to think about how I wanted something to look and then to make it happen!  

Feels good to be blogging again - I keep saying that - and then just fall right back out of it.  I'll try to do better in 2015!  Happy New Year everyone.  

21 comments :

  1. I like this! It's really cute! Will you wear a cardigan with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this on you! Good fit, nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, g! I love the Pretty Woman fabric and the shape is simply stunning on you! What a way to end 2014 :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your holiday to make list (!), and I'm happy to see that you finished something for yourself. Thanks for blogging the details. Pretty Woman...indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love the fabric and it's such a flattering look on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Screams pretty woman to me too! Now all you need is the hat! Good to see you blogging again...I am trying, but I'd rather spend what little free time I have sewing...speaking of...to the studio I go before work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks beautiful on you and suits you perfectly! I love the polka dots and that shade on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this dress, you look gorgeous! The shape/pattern/color are very you! I can see you adding a pink cardi with it too... super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute dress, and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! The neckline especially looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the shoulder being pleated instead of gathered is a great idea. It does lay flatter and look good. It's a nice dress, and it's great that you at least got one thing done for yourself!

    Happy New Year, G&J!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, yes! Pretty woman fabric! Love this on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your choice of fabric is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry I gave you a pattern you already had and had made up several times. Your version is beautiful even without the flounce. Looks so comfy like a go to and grab all the time dress. Love it- perfect

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally Pretty Woman - you just need a hat and gloves! What a lovely dress - looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really pretty and looks great on you. It definitely says "pretty woman".. Happy sewing 2015

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this dress! It looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute dress! Adding pockets is such a good idea to kick your TNT up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohh - I LOVE this dress. It is very pretty woman isn't it. It really suits you and look fabulous on you. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Had to come back after re-reading your post to say it definitely does not look too tight. Looks spectacular and absolutely classy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love that dress! You are quite the lovely lady in it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs