May 23, 2016

Upton Girl


AKA - The Bronco's Dress.

Once again I was a tester for Cashmerette.  I am currently having a love/hate relationship with pattern testing.  There are a few reasons for this.  A.   I've mentioned before that I really, really dislike putting together PDFs and no matter how careful I am in trimming my pages, I always have trouble putting them together and getting them to lay flat - BUT I realize that is on me and not the pattern.  2.  I often feel like testing feels like a job and takes the relaxing out of sewing for me.  Those issues aside - when I saw the line drawings for the Upton dress I was All In!

At that same shopping trip with Niema where I bought the Nicole Miller animal print - I also bought this Nicole Miller rayon twill.  I loved the colors.

I will be the first to admit - that this dress doesn't fit me as well as it could.  That seems to be a standard refrain for me when I'm making something new.  At a stable weight - I have no idea how big (or small) I am.  Even with my measurements - I don't always trust them.  When I make this dress again I will go down 2 (or maybe 3) sizes - I can now pinch out almost 4" at the waist.  Again - that's on me and not the pattern or instructions.  And trust me - I am still wearing this - I wore it on Saturday to an ASG event.

The Upton is a sleeveless dress, with a 4 dart bodice front, and both waist and shoulder darts in the back.  There are 2 neckline options (V or Round).  There is a waist band and the option of a deep box pleats or a gored skirt.  If you need to have sleeves it would be easy enough to add a sleeve - I'm a big fan of adding the football shaped cap sleeve to sleeveless dresses - it adds just enough that if your job dress code requires sleeves, you'd be compliant.

And - the Upton has all important pockets and is lined through the waist with a back zipper.  I would add either belt loops or thread chains to a future make because I like wearing a belt but like to keep it on the waistband.
 
In the view I made (V-neck, box pleats) there is no neckline gaping, no need for a swayback adjustment and it's a fun, twirly, girly dress - but subdued enough for work wear.

Due to the testing period - I finished this dress right before the Superbowl and is my habit, I wore my newly finished dress to the Superbowl party we went to.  Because my fabric is navy blue with pops of orange - JB dubbed it The Broncos Dress!  Apparently what I wear influences the outcome of the SuperBowl because the Broncos won.  There has been a request to make an Eagles dress :\

The construction of this dress was quick - even making a lining.  The pieces fit together as they should and I followed the order of construction.  The pattern as it was sent out for testing had a full lining - which I didn't include.  My fabric didn't need it and I couldn't be bothered.  The pattern has now been altered to only have a lined bodice.

If I remember correctly (I really should start drafting blog posts as I make things, rather than try to remember 5 month later!) I assembled and traced the PDF one weekend while I was prepping my fabric.  The next weekend I cut it out and sewed it up.  There is a beautifully inserted orange invisible zipper - which has never been undone because in it's too big state - the dress slips right over my head without unzipping.
My next planned version will be the same - v-neck with the box pleats.  In an embroidered cotton that I bought from Fabric Mart.  It was an end of the bolt special.  I had bought the fabric right before Carolyn's first visit to the West Coast and we saw a very similar dress to the Upton made in an almost identical fabric that year at Sew Expo.  Hopefully - I can make that dress up soon - but with a puppy joining our family next weekend and then a lovely tropical vacation right around the corner it might marinate another year.

See how good the back looks?
Parting thoughts

  • This is a great dress that is easy to wear
  • It feel feminine and flirty
  • In the scoop neck, gored skirt in wool it would be a workhorse
  • This pattern will be used make a great TNT to do 'inspiration' dresses ala Carolyn

11 comments :

  1. Beautiful dress and I love the colors - Go Broncos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Yes. YES!

    This looks phenomenal on you! Really nicely done and I love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress! I really like the box pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super stunning, G!!! I just love your fabric choice, too. What a beautiful dress and it suits you very well. I can't wait to see your future interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo! I definitely love this dress! Suits you so well. This is definitely a dress I want to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely.
    Shouldn't that be Seahawks?
    I shan't hold it against you. If you are in Seattle and not from here, usually you're a Broncos fan. It's allowed. We give out of staters a full twenty years to recover from previous team allegiances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is so you and you're right there are so many things you can do with this pattern to make a multitude of variations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fun dress! Also... puppy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a really pretty dress; the color is great on you. I like the orange cardigan with it. The contrast is perfect. And doesn't it feel great that you need smaller sizes? As for an Eagles colored dress? I think you'd look good in green, so go for it.

    I was thinking of making a couple of summer dresses this weekend, because it suddenly turned hot here - I'm talking 50s last weekend, 80 yesterday - but Mike called last night and told me they're bringing the baby Saturday, so it probably won't happen. Too much Baby Girl Attention needed. And pictures. Lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful on you and I love the fabric! I can't wait to see what one, in a smaller size looks like on you. I also love that this dress influenced the Super Bowl. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs